1. ARE THEY THE RIGHT SIZE?
When choosing the size of your child's shoes, there is no big secret: Your child must try them on! In order for them to grow, their feet must be supported, especially at the heel. However, you need to make sure that your child's feet do not feel squashed. Their toes should be able to move freely so that the foot can grow properly.
• Tip: In store at Decathlon Báile Munna, we have a state of the art shoe fitting technology. The technology will be able to suggest shoes based on a 3-D diagnostic of your child's foot, while also predicting when you should look at sizing up. The best part, you can even use this technology to ensure you and your whole family are wearing the correct footwear.
2. WILL MY CHILD BE ABLE TO GET THEIR SHOES ON/OFF BY THEMSELVES?
At around 5 or 6, children are capable of tying their own laces. But, to make this easier for them, choose shoes with rip-tabs or those that have a combination of elastic laces and rip-tabs. This will save you time, and will encourage your little one to become more independent.
3. WILL MY CHILD BE ABLE TO PRACTISE SPORTS WITH THEIR SHOES?
So that your child can do all the activities they need to do, their shoes must have the following 4 properties:
1. Flexibility: your child should be able to move freely. It should be easy to flex the shoe!
2. Grip: It is preferable to choose rubber soles that are naturally non-slip and non-marking. The soles of children's shoes must have a tread pattern to prevent your child from slipping!
3. Cushioning: Although minimal cushioning is preferable up to the age of 7, sufficient cushioning is required later on as the child grows and becomes heavier.
4. Durability: check that the shoes are reinforced at the front and back, because these are the areas that wear out most quickly.
• Note: our shoes are primarily designed for walking, but are also suitable for school sports and other extra curricular activities.
4. WHAT ABOUT UNPLEASANT ODOURS?
Your child is a bundle of energy and very active, running around and sweating. Sweat alone is not the cause of unpleasant odours. Rather, it is the bacteria which build up if you do not allow the shoes to breathe.
Check before buying whether it is possible to remove the insole from the shoe. Our children's shoes have a removable insole. This should be dried outside to prevent the growth of the bacteria that cause unpleasant odours!
5. WILL I BE ABLE TO CLEAN MY CHILD'S SHOES EASILY?
Choose shoes made from synthetic materials, or ones which can be easily washed. With synthetics, a wipe with a damp sponge is enough to remove all marks!